Wednesday, July 16, 2003

This is a short segment from a ten-minute play I've written. The characters in the
play are Janet, Jim and Stewart, though Stewart isn't in this scene.

JANET: Janet is in her late twenties. She's a overall a nice girl, but manipulative
and insecure. She can't understand why Jim and her have been friends for so
long and Jim hasn't yet tried to have sex with her.

JIM: Jim is a nice guy. He has been friends with Janet for so long, he has come
to know her as a buddy, and just overlooked her as an option for sex. However,
after she mentions it, he starts to think about it more closely.

STUART: Stuart is another male friend of Janet's whom she has also never bedded.


JANET
Well, there's got to be something wrong with me.
or you would have tried to at least get a hand job.
a weiner lick, something.

JIM
No...I....you're my friend.

JANET
What? Your what?

JIM
Your friend.

JANET
(thinking)
If you were my real friend, you would've gone down
on me by now.

JIM
You're the only girl I know who I can talk to. That
means something to me.

JANET
Jesus! Listen to yourself!

Jim sits silently, looks absolutely dumbfounded.

JANET
If you're my friend, prove it right now.

JIM
How?

JANET
You know how.

JIM
I can't do that.

JANET
If you won't do it willingly, I'm going to have to
force you.

JIM
Are you going to rape me?

JANET
You are making me do this. I didn't want it to come
to this.

JIM
(sighs, chuckling a bit)
I'll have sex with you, but I can't promise it won't hurt
our friendship.

JANET
Do you think this is a joke? Do you think that this is
some kind of fucking joke? Because it's not. It's not a
fucking joke to me, Jim. This is fucking bullshit. I am a
sexy woman, god dammit! I am smart, and funny....and,
voluptuous, and mother of christ, what the hell is wrong
with me that you don't want to fuck me?

JIM
Maybe there's nothing wrong with you. Maybe it's me.
Did you think of that?

JANET
Don't give me that bullshit line, Jim. That's a line.

JIM
It's not a line.

JANET
Take off your pants. We're fucking. Right now.

JIM
Janet, can't you see how ridiculous this is?

JANET
Don't patronize me.

JIM
It's just stupid, this whole thing.

JANET
I'm sorry. It's gone too far to turn back now.

JIM
My clothes aren't even off yet!

JANET
I'm sorry. Too far.

No comments: