Monday, October 27, 2003

POETRY, ANYONE?
by Jessica Delfino

Legitimate poetry I wro-etry just to see if I could do it-ry. This is not found poetry.


I BITE MY NAILS

I bite my nails when I ride the subway, chewing on them until they bleed
People look at me, they see me chomping
One person wonders, ‘why is she chewing her nails?’
Fuck that bitch. I can see her, staring at me, thinking,
“I bet I know.”
Most people don’t notice. A guy who is also biting his nails sees me.
He looks over at me as if to say, “hey, look at the two of us”
But I don’t want to look at him.
I’m busy.
I’ve got things to do.
Rent, too much.
Bills, too many.
Paychecks, too few.
Bite, bite, chew.
I live in a 4 story walk up on the Upper East Side.
The train lets me off at 77th Street.


HER

She thinks she is so fucking hot!
I guess she is hot, but not really
Her hair hangs all over the place
Her body is good but not great
Her ass looks like a wet pillow
I guess some guys like that, but I doubt a ton of them do
She fills a niche
Guys who like girls who are almost artists
But not quite
She smiles and she smells of fresh flowers
And warm hands
I think I know her, just when I think I really know her
I don’t know anything about her
She disappears every night

No comments: