Tuesday, May 19, 2009

SAY MY NAME

My friend looked up my name and wrote to me telling me what it means.

I've always thought my name was hebrew, of biblical origin and meant "wealthy" (which is funny because I'm certainly anything but, however, I am wealthy in that I know how to do lots of crafts and play about a dozen instruments, so, who's wealthy now, Jesus?).

JESSICA
Gender: Feminine
Usage: English
Pronounced: JES-i-kÉ™ [key]
This name was first used in this form by Shakespeare in his play 'The Merchant of Venice' (1596), where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical name ISCAH which would have been spelled Jesca in his time. It was not commonly used as a given name until the middle of the 20th century.

Additionally, people of any kind of latino origin generally call me "Yessica", and people of any other kind of origin generally pronounce my name "Jennifer".

There are lots of Jessicas out there, and interestingly, even lots of other Jessica Delfinos. I meet another Jessica about once a week, and I meet another Jessica Delfino (usually via Facebook or Myspace) about once a month or so. One just friended me yesterday, and she spelled her name "Jessika". They all vaguely look like me -- dark hair, slender, cute girls. It's puzzling that I've never met a very short blonde Jessica Delfino or an obese african american Jessica Delfino, though, who knows, perhaps they're out there somewhere.

I started meeting lots of other Jessica Delfinos after Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher, Star Trek: The Next Generation) posted my lyrics for my song "Lullabye" on his blog. They just started climbing out of the woodwork, from Italy and New Mexico and all over the place. I even MET one -- she came to NYC and emailed me that she wanted to get a drink. I thought that sounded reasonable, so I met her and a friend, and she was very nice. We had a fun time chatting and drinking, and marveling over how similar our basic features were.

But of all the Jessica Delfinos out there, there's only ONE who plays the guitar, flying V ukulele, electronic autoharp q-chord, autoharp, singing saw, keyboardlette, mini drumset, rape whistle and tells jokes and makes videos and illustrates and that Jessica Delfino is ME!

No comments: