Thursday, April 21, 2011

Get ready for a weekend of
Free Clothes, Ass Kicking Ladies & Ukuleles
and BONUS: An Easter Memory

Unless you're not into any of those awesome things, which is fine, I guess, in it's own way. This Friday, April 22, come catch Ladies Who Punch in the East Village, with your host Katrin Hier, who does terrific characters and is just simply put, very funny. 7 PM, $5, more info is located to the right bar ------->

This Saturday, April 23, which also happens to be Earth Day, is going to be the longest day of my life. Come on over to NYU's Kimmel Center to bring a bag of clothes and get some gently used threads to call your own. The event goes from 2-6 PM. Spring cleaning, donating, recycling, shopping, call it what you will, I call it FREE CLOTHES. I am emceeing and helping to coordinate the event as I do every year, and it is always very awesome. More info located to the right bar ------>

Also on Saturday, starting at 7 PM, one of the last dive bars in the East Village hosts Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, a Gorgeous Ladies of Bloodwrestling (G.L.O.B.) event: Live lady warriors wrestle in fake blood to punk rock. Our Lady of Perpetual P.M.S. has been producing these wrestling events for several years now and she won't be a young ass kickin vixen forever so get your booty out there to see (fake) lady blood and guts on the floor, as these babes drop kick it out. As ridiculous as regular wrestling, but much funnier and hotter. Half-time entertainment burlesque by Miss Poppy Seed and ribald anthems by ME. Free admission, more details located to the right bar --------> (and flyer located below)

FINALLY, my night will come to a blessed end with a quick stop into NYC Ukulele Salon @ Googie's Lounge, upstairs at The Living Room. The show starts at 8 PM and features no less than and no more than 4 ukulele performers. I will be going on stage at 10 PM with a half hour set of ukulele only songs. Admission is free. Please come and bring me some water and a protein bar. More details located to the right bar ------->

If you are a friend who hasn't seen me in awhile, I just gave you four awesome opportunities to to see me this weekend while also finding underground entertainment for free or something like it, right here in the capital of adventure, NYC.

TTFN...and Happy Easter, if Jesus rising from the dead is your thing. Here is the bonus I promised, for those of you who read this entry in it's entirety (thank you): I admit, I do celebrate Easter just like every other Christian holiday, with friends, family and food, and lots of it. I learned it from watching my people, colorful Italians that they are -- the Rizzos and Delfinos. But honestly, I'm mostly in it for the chocolate and hilarity. One of my life's greatest and most cherished memories is my mom taking my sisters and I to church on Easter and getting spanked in church (and out into the parking lot as we tried to avoid my mother's frustrated swats) because we were unable to control our chuckles which eventually gave way to snort laughter at a tall, goofy, ridiculously enthusiastic baritone who was singing hymns with all his heart and might. Ahhh, memories.

No comments: