Wednesday, October 1, 2003

Me? Mental? I'll Show You Fucking Mental
by Jessica Delfino

From what I can see, Gavin Morris is the Salon.com blog reviewer, and it appears that he reviewed my blog. This is what he said:

27th September 2003

Found some really nice writing over at Jessy Delfino's blog. The girl is clearly mental, but writes very well. I picked up the link from fellow TotalFarker Wheaton's blog, which remains as good, tortured, strangely irrellevant and entertaining as it ever was.

***You can debate or commend his opinion, or read his fancy kibitzes and what nots here***

So here's my question: is this a good review or a bad review?

Because part of me says, hey, now wait a minute! Now, you wait just one god damn
min-ute! He gave you a non-specific generally favorable review. Remember the "nice writing" and "writes very well" phrases used? That indicates feelings of overall approval!

But then I get stuck, because in the next sentence, he called me mental. Not a little mental, or somewhat mental, or mental in a cute way but "clearly mental." I shouldn't be upset because that just implies that I am mental, because if I weren't mental, I would be able to brush it off like lint and go work it out on the eliptical machine. I'd be laughing hysterically, fingertips lightly grazing my chest and with whimsy and perfect teeth say out loud to no one in particular, "Me? Mental?" I would then pop anywhere from 2-4 xanax and hallucinate my way through various clerical duties. So, I guess I have to give him some kind of credit or literary high five because he can obviously peg a crazy bitch when he reads the writing of one! Way to go, Gav!

So, I think the answer is the review is neither good or bad, but indistinct and generally favorable. I think Gavin gave me this review because he is a fan of Wil Wheaton's blog or Star Trek series, either/or, and probably doesn't necessarily enjoy my blog, but recognizes good writing because he's not an idiot, and just decided to give Wil Wheaton the benefit of the doubt on this one.

After some intense contemplation, I have decided in all fairness, credit for Gavin's indistinct generally favorable review should go to Wil Wheaton.

Thanks, Wil! Keep the links and good reviews comin' vicariously through your many fans and their undying love and devotion to you!

I feel my breakdown and analysis of this review is probably correct, but it might not be correct. I could be mental. Thank God Gavin had come along when he did and pointed this out, because otherwise I might have lived my whole entire life having no idea of the state of my emotional wellness. Again, Gavin, thanks, buddy.

Tally of thanks in this blog entry:
Wil - 1
Gavin - 2

No comments: