Friday, May 2, 2008

Delfino Update, May 2008, Greetings from Planet Delfino!

Well, hello, world. While you are all sleeping (or perhaps, very sadly, just waking up or having been up for the better part of an hour getting ready to go to your jobby job -- dear god I hope you're getting paid what you're worth!!) I am sitting here at this lovely Florida-based countertop, type-ity type typing away for you to read later. Maybe from said job.

What's going on in my life, you ask? Well, dear reader, thank you for asking. A lot is going on.

I have a new CD which I've been toiling over for the better part of a year, and it is almost DONE. And I can't wait. One thing I've learned working in a studio recording a CD is that I kind of hate working in a studio recording a CD. I rather prefer performing live. I mean, don't get me wrong. I can't think of a better way to spend my days than making music all day every day. But it's been a real lot of work. Like, a whole big bag of it.

I was recording for awhile at Hotbed Studio in Greenpoint but I wasn't happy with the way the CD was sounding. So I then moved to a new studio in Bushwick and started working with producer Misha Volf, who has been a real ray of sunshine in my life, and I'm putting my sassy sarcastic wit and ways on hold to really seriously insist that last sentiment is true. I've whole-heartedly enjoyed working with Misha, though he does bust my balls a little, and I recommend him to anyone who wants their CD to sound like a bajillion bucks for a mere fraction of that price. I've gotta give a shout out to Ben Lerman for recommending Misha to me. He also did some recordings for Ben Lerman and he made Ben sound like Ella Fitzgerald with a sex change. In a good way.

I'm going to be having a CD release party on June 18th at Cakeshop at 9 PM with Dame Darcy playing her sea shanties and celebrating her birthday, as well as a few other guests who I will name later. I do hope you can make it. It's gonna be awesome, and I'm not just throwing that word around lightly. When I say awesome, I fucking god damn mean it.

In other news -- I am producing a new monthly show called Naughty Nautical Nite at The Slipper Room with a little help from my friends. Dame Darcy and I host the show together and provide a slew of amazing performers singing nautical themed songs, telling nautical themed jokes and doing nautical themed things. It's ocean-a-riffic! The next show is May 22nd at 8:30 PM. It's the Fleet Week episode, so don your sailor duds and dig out your old mermaid fin, slap it on and walk, run, swim, surf, skip or skate on over. It's the most fun you can have while listening to Carribean Queen by Billy Ocean. The last show had 120 or more people in attendance and the show ROCKED raucous. It was something ELSE, I tell you.

I've been working with Make Music NY as a coordinator and it's been keeping me really busy. It's a great idea -- the concept is that there are musicians performing all over NYC, literally "in the streets" and lots of various "non-traditional" performance spaces, such as sidewalks, parks, rooftops and any where else that is out of doors. May 1st was technically the deadline to sign up but if you visit the website www.timeoutnewyork.com/makemusicny, you might still be able to register. I'll be performing my MMNY live outdoor performance in the Marble Cemetery at 2nd and 2nd -- a high tea in the cemetery with my Naughty Nautical crew. Bring your dolls and picnic blanket. Bring grandma and the kids. It's gonna be a mighty fine time. 4 - 8 PM, June 21st. Here is a photo of my friend Michael Iannantuono (Michael I for short, aka Dr. Anchovy of "The Pizzas") and I hanging out with Suzanne Vega at the French Embassy for a Make Music NY fundraiser / party last week. I look like I just broke out of the hot women's hot ward. Where I had won an award. For being hot. Just kidding. I don't look THAT hot. But if you look very closely, you can see a little nip. True story!



What else, what else!?? My mom turned 50 today, well, technically yesterday, now, on May 1st. That's why I'm in Florida. Because that's where she lives, alongside weird birds, strange reptilian hind-brain creatures, bugs with human sized heads and eyes and more ex-cons per capita than a NAMBLA convention. Congratulations, mom. Thanks for being birthed and then for birthing me, too.

The sun is rising and that means I have to go back to bed for an hour or three. Happy Friday, world!

No comments: