Saturday, August 8, 2009

DAY 3 of EDINBURGH, DAY 25 of TOUR, DAY I WANT TO GO HOME of my LIFE

OK, sure, some days are better than others, and today is starting out ok. I woke up to the sun shining through my oversized window overlooking the mountains and birds chirping and I sit in a lovely coffee getting place with THE fabulous Ben Lerman. But really, sometimes this business gets to a person, and there's no going around that.

Yesterday started out really lovely. I took a bike ride alone to the top of the mountain and took a few photos. A peace really fills ya up when you look down on a scene like this and there's not one person around you in either direction for who knows how far. It's nice to be alone sometimes. It's like this scene was waiting just for me to look at it!


Thanks, Mama Nature and the people who built stuff, too

I went to see Ben's show last night which was great. It's at 91 Montgomery St. at Cafe Renroc (it's "corner" backwards) and it's FREE, at 7:30 PM. Go SEE it. It's FREE but it shouldn't be.



On my way to my show, I stumbled upon YET MORE PROOF that the brits are just fucking innately hilarious!! It's like they have a really fun person who writes all their street signs. I love him or her.



I performed last night to a just about packed house. There were no seats and people were standing in the back. I suppose that more people could have fit in standing, but that wouldn't have been fun for them. The show went better than opening night, which I didn't think was bad, necessarily, just sort of still fresh and raw. I think I'm sort of developing it as we go which I don't think is ideal, especially not when reviewers are lurking around, looking for things to pull apart, but I am still confident that it's a quality show.

After my show, a group of adorable and fun people accosted me, bought me beer, took Ben and my photo and were really sweet and encouraging! I love them. They are my new friends. Ben and I rode our bikes over to see a show called "Le Petit Mort" (I don't think I'm spelling that right) at Counting House. I liked it very much -- it was a simple but nice show that consisted of a pretty girl singing sexy cabaret numbers and discussing the background history of orgasms, sex and ya know, dirty stuff like that.


She sings!


The accompanist plays!

After her show we went to Gilded Balloon and met up with some old friends and met some new friends and drank and stuff, wandering in around 3 am.

It was a good day and a good night, and today has been fine, too. But I'm kind of home sick, I have to admit. And though the shows are really great and it all feels okay, I know that there are thousands of others out there like me, and I'm one person in a sea of people, many of whom are richer, prettier, better connected, etc. It gets to a person now and again if ya stop to think about it. I try not to, but this business I've chosen is seriously the hardest and at times most unrewarding career on the planet. However, when it's good, it's unbelievable.

No comments: