Wednesday, June 2, 2010

JD on NPR's Morning Edition, 
and I'm quoted on www.MichaelMoore.com

I was quoted on www.MichaelMoore.com today via an interview I did a few days ago with Associated Press at the BP oil protest on Houston Street. 

I never wanted to "be" an activist, an artist, a dirty mouthed folk musician. These were all ideas that chose me. When I was a little girl, I had a dream of driving a white BMW with beige interior -- it was a shared fantasy my wealthier girlfriends had planted into my head. I didn't know how I'd get this BMW, I guess I figured when it came time for me to drive it, it'd just drop out of the sky with a giant bow wrapped around it, like where babies might as well come from in any dumb kid's head. 

I grew up in a cave called the state of Maine, and was sheltered enough to avoid politics, activism and everything else -- bagels, gays, sushi and more. I had no idea that these things even existed until I moved to NYC. Here, the hypocrisy and dealings in regards to politics that I experienced made me physically ill. I vowed to avoid politics and lie low in regards to activism, because it reminded me of everything that was wrong with human beings.

The assault on the ocean has made it impossible for me to do that. I realize I'm blessed with a big mouth, and lucky to have a good enough brain to implement this yap of mine. I was raised near the ocean and spent my life on the water. I'm a dolphin, I value the ocean immensely, and my new dream is to live on a beautiful paradise island, someday -- one that oil doesn't wash up onto the shore of. To me, the ocean holds much magic, and as you may have gathered, magic is something that has much meaning and metaphor in my life. 

Unfortunately, my power isn't that great yet -- but I don't care. If power was measured in iotas and I had one iota of power, I will use every scintilla of that iota to do what I can. I'd also like to hear about what you've done, or what you're doing, and how I can help. 

Oh yeah, and this Thursday, I'll be on NPR's Morning Edition. I forgot what my message sounds like, so let's just hope I didn't say anything too utterly embarrassing. However, when you're me, it's kind of hard to get embarrassed :)


clicktracker.php.jpg

No comments: