Sunday, May 30, 2010

MY PROTEST-IVAL WEEKEND

This past weekend was brimming with movement. Friday kicked off the Theater for the New City's Lower East Side Festival of the Arts, which I was very excited to be an assistant director of, in addition to performing in this year. 

I did sneak out / take a quick break from the festival, though, in the early part of Friday to zip over to the BP station and make a statement with my Shakespearean inspired sign. 


It made me very glad to be the lead photo on the Gothamist coverage of the "flash protest" that ran from 6 - 6:15 pm, and I'm equally as delighted to have my face cut out of the photo, as I did briefly sneak out of work to be there! I am lucky to have had the help of a great staff and crew who barely missed me. 

Here are a few links if you're curious to read about the protest, which demonstrated people's disgust with the handling of the BP oil spill. I am quoted in an Associated Press article, where I simply say, in a nutshell, that I can't believe the world is still going, business as usual, with something this catastrophic going on in the background. It made me stop and speak out, and if you haven't yet, I hope it will inspire you, too.

Michael Moore's website / AP 



1010 Wins


Friday night, I took 25 of my friends to see "The Room" at Village East Cinema at midnight. I performed an opening intro and song on my electronic autoharp a.k.a. Q-chord (it is like a piano from the future, or something a witch might play in the woods.) In mid song, I ask the audience if they'd like to say hi to Mark, wherein, I called Mark's (Greg Sestero) cell number and asked the entire room on the count of 3 to yell, "Oh, hi Mark!" I then gave away a limited edition tee shirt of Greg naked, covered in spoons and we watched the hell out of "The Room". 

That film and Rocky Horror Picture Show are the only two examples I can think of where white people get to scream at the film being played in the movie theater, and it's a lot of fun. 

If you want to see The Room, you get another chance on Wed June 9th at midnight, when we will screen it after Skits'N'Tits. If you arrive at 10 PM, your $8 ticket to Skits'N'Tits gets you a seat and admission to Skits'N'Tits. Or you can just come at midnight and get your ticket for $8 at the door. Don't forget to bring your plastic spoons -- please get them from McDonald's or home, don't spend money on a box of spoons! It's too wasteful. 


Yesterday was the outdoor portion of the TNC Festival of the Arts which took place on 10th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave. It was a beautiful day, and my friends Jena Friedman, Kyle Thompson and I all got to enjoy fun and energetic sets in front of a large, enthusiastic audience. 

The festival carried on into the night inside the Theater for the New City, with performances in two theaters by Zero Boy, many great dance troupes, musicians such as Richard West who produced the outdoor street show, Lissa Moira and many others. Tonight, the festival continues with poetry all day, and then a variety of performances including dance, music, theater, cabaret and more from 6 pm until 1 am tonight. It's all free and open to the public. And if that weren't enough, as an added bonus, I'll be performing at 11 PM! 1st Avenue at the corner of 10th St. 

See ya there, come and hang out with me. I'll be there from 5 PM on, helping the ship run smoothly. Bring me a cupcake, a soda, or a hug. 

No comments: