Saturday, March 12, 2005

JESSICA DELFINO at the KNITTING FACTORY!!!

Hey there everyone. Life is very hectic right now, because Chris got evicted from his apartment of 14 years. I've been helping him move and I'm also helping my boss move into his new place as well. But, I've got some very exciting news (for me...) - I'm playing at the Knitting Factory on April 1st at 8 pm!!! Doors at 7:30 pm. Tickets are only $6. I'm also playing with Tickle Dracula, who I like very much. Stuckey & Murray and Sharon Mama Spell are also on the bill. So come on down and boogie with us, won't you all?

In other news, I'm trying to be nicer to my fellow man. I've been holding doors, saying please and thank you a lot, and smiling randomly at people. These are things I normally do anyway, when I'm not writing jokes about how badly the homeless smell, but I'm trying to make an effort to do this even more now. Part of the reason why, is because when I was on tour with the Trachtenburgs, I noticed every rest stop we went to, people would POINT at Tina so overtly and laugh at her. It was like being back in high school, with out the failing grade in Spanish class. It didn't seem to bother her at all, she'd laugh really loud. She has such a great laugh, the people would normally start laughing with her...a little human compassion would take place and before we knew it, we were all chit chatting - where ya from? Whatcha doin' here? That kind of stuff...

It was magical, at times, to see people's personalities change in a second, with just a laugh or a smile. I thought that was something I wanted to bring back to NYC with me. It's so easy to get wrapped up in calling people assholes and staring jerky bitches down - it's so fun! And sometimes so deserved. But it's just as easy to say hello to a stranger, put a quarter in a homeless person's cup, and hold a door for a person with their arms full.

When the nuclear bomb hits this city, we'll all burn together - the poor, the rich, the fat, the pretty. I'm not suggesting we all try to love one another, but I am suggesting that it wouldn't hurt us any to be kind to one another, especially people who are assholes. Probably the reason they are assholes to begin with is because people have been mean to them so much with such regularity that they are trained to expect it, and then trained to give it back.

Try it if you can - do one nice thing for someone every single stinking day. Even if you hate your job. Even if you hate your boyfriend. Even if you hate yourself. This world sucks enough without you being a dick, too.

This Sunday at Apocalypse Lounge, 7 pm to 9 pm, my dear friend Claudia Gross will be hosting. I'll be there for a bit, but then I have another show to go to at the Living Room called "East Side Oral" where I'll be doing a reading. Come on over, won't you, to either show, or both?

No comments: