Wednesday, June 22, 2011


**

I had the pleasure and the honor and the good old fashioned general happy fun chance to be invited to give a ukulele crash course at Google last week. That's right, the Google, that thing that we all know and love, the new word in the dictionary, the place behind website where you go to learn everything from how packing peanuts are made to how long it would take you to drive to Minnesota from Poughkeepsie.

The headquarters.

I've been to Google before because I have a friend who works there, but it never gets old. The place is like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory for adult nerds. What with scooters and 5 cafeterias of just about every help yourself snack, beverage and fixin' you can imagine, it really is as close to an amusement park as a job can get without being a bona fide carnie.

Add ukuleles, and well, you've got yourself one serious party.

I taught about 35-ish or so nice brainiacs how to strum major, minor and a few 7th chords and play such seminal hits as, "She'll Be Comin' Round The Mountain When She Comes" and "Octopuses Garden". Let's see if a ukulele jam band comes out of this -- actually, the lovely woman in charge of putting it all together suggested that she was planning to start a uke schtick so delicious and loveable, I can't print it here, as the idea will promptly get stolen.

The Google Gang pauses to pose with their new ukuleles

Here's a thinker: What kind of band would you have if you could play ukulele? Would you cover Chaka Khan hits dressed in drag? Would you juggle flaming ukuleles while singing Nirvana songs backwards? Cause those both seem like a lot of fun.

If you are a corporate boss person and would like to hire me to host a ukulele event at your corporation or smaller work place or even a party, email me at jess delfino at gmail dot com. Why a corporate boss person would be reading my blog -- I don't know. But stranger things have definitely happened.

** The Google logo above was created by me, using the official Google logo, but is just being borrowed for this blog. I won't be using it as any other part of my life, just in case the Google police are curious. Isn't it pretty, though?**

No comments: